Air Force Personnel Center   Right Corner Banner
Join the Air Force

AF Veteran Information > Air Force Board for Correction of Military Records


The Air Force Board for Correction of Military Records is the highest level of administrative review within the Department of the Air Force. Unless procured by fraud, a decision is final and conclusive on all officers of the United States.

Once applicable records are obtained, applications are screened to determine if they may be corrected without referral to the AFBCMR. In many situations, corrections to military records may be made administratively.

Records may be obtained and the request evaluated by the Office of Primary Responsibility. Applications that are not administratively corrected by the OPR will be considered by the AFBCMR. A copy of all advisory opinions are referred to the applicant or the applicant's counsel for response.

Except in those cases where a personal appearance is granted, the AFBCMR bases its decision on the evidence contained in the case file. This normally consists of military records, an advisory from the OPR, and statements, arguments, and documents provided by the applicant. The burden of proof of either error or injustice rests with the applicant


Active duty and former members of the Regular Air Force, Air Force Reserve, and Air National Guard, to include Air Force Academy and Reserve Officer Training Corps can apply.

If the former member is deceased or incompetent, surviving spouse, former spouse, next of kin, or a legal representative may apply with supporting documentation, e.g., power of attorney, marriage license, death certificate.

Click here for more information.

Update: 2015 NDAA Guidance

The 2015 National Defense Authorization Bill, as passed by the Senate Armed Services committee, included language that expressed the Sense of Congress urging any updating Vietnam veteran who received a less-than-honorable discharge and has since been diagnosed with post-traumatic stress (PTS) be allowed all due consideration for an upgrade of characterization of discharge.

A memorandum published by the Secretary of Defense on Sept. 3, 2014 implemented supplemental policy guidance for BCMR on these applicants. Read the Secretary of Defense's memo here.

Application Process

Forms and Publications Used to Correct Military Records

Download and fill out the DD Form 149, Application for Correction of Military Record. On the back of the DD Form 149 is the address where you need to submit the application. Original signature is required. If your contention involves a medical issue, you must also fill out a consent to release your medical records from the Veterans Administration. You must fill out a VA Form 10-5345, Request for and Authorization to Release Medical Records or Health Information sign and attach to the DD Form 149.

Click here for more information.

My Options If The Evaluation Reports and Appeals Board Disapproves My Appeal

If your application is disapproved, and you are unable to gather new information as required by the Evaluation Reports and Appeals Board, you may then apply under the Air Force Board for Correction of Military Records Appeals process by submitting a DD Form 149 and following procedures outlined in AFI 36-2603, Air Force Board for Correction of Military Records.

For a list of frequently asked questions, visit the Air Force Board for Correction of Military Records - FAQs Web page.

(Updated as of January 2016)

 Inside AFPC

ima cornerSearch

tabCorrection of Military Records (AFBCMR)
tabCustomer Service

Site Map      Contact Us     Questions     Security and Privacy notice     E-publishing  
Suicide Prevention    SAPR   IG   EEO   Accessibility/Section 508   No FEAR Act