The Air Force Dress and Appearance Program website is a one-stop shop for all questions on wear of the uniform, insignias, awards and decorations. It also provides the latest news updates and policy changes. For local installation guidance, consult your chain of command for clarification and further guidance on standards and policies.
The Air Force's instruction on dress and personal appearance received an appearance upgrade with the release of the updated instruction on July 18, 2012. AFI 36-2903, Dress and Personal Appearance
, received the facelift after several years of interim updates as uniform items were introduced and phased out. Updates include:
- Integrated public display of affection language
- Elimination of Friday morale t-shirts for flight suit wearers
- Added "dental ornamentation" as a prohibited item
- Exclusion of the command insignia from the count of maximum badges authorized
- Added authorizations for cosmetic tattoos for medical reasons for both men and women
- Allows cosmetic tattoos for non-medical conditions such as eyebrows and eye liner for women (in line with other Services)
- Tables are now integrated into text and each uniform has its own section in the AFI
- Photos of uniform combinations, drawings depicting hair standards, measurement tools for Airmen and Commanders to determine if tattoos meet standards
All personnel are encouraged to review the entire AFI.