HomeBenefits and EntitlementsPost-9/11 GI Bill
GI Bill


If you’re an active-duty, Guard or Reserve Airman, Air Force veteran, or qualified survivor or dependent, you may qualify for U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs education benefits through the GI Bill program and other educational assistance programs. The VA may be able to help pay your tuition, pick out a school, choose a career and more.  


Since 1944, the GI Bill has helped millions of veterans pay for college, graduate school and training programs. Under this bill, qualifying veterans and their family members can get money to cover all or some of the costs for school or training. 


If you qualify for more than one VA education benefit, you’ll have to pick which one you want to use. This is an irrevocable decision, meaning you can’t change your mind. Eligibility stipulations and benefit details are available at base education offices.


You may be able to get benefits through the Post-9/11 GI Bill if you qualify for any GI Bill program and have served on active duty for at least 90 days, with or without a break in service, after September 10, 2001. 


Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits expire 15 years after your last separation date from active service. You must use all of your benefit by that time or you’ll lose whatever is left. If your service ended on or after January 1, 2013, there is no time limit, or “delimiting date,” to use your education benefits. A recently enacted law gets rid of the expiration date for you. 


Benefits are based on aggregate, honorable service and include college tuition (up to a certain amount), a monthly housing stipend and an annual books/supplies stipend. Active duty and distance learning students may receive a pro-rated benefit. The benefit amount depends on which school you attend, how much active-duty service you’ve had since September 10, 2001 and how many credits or training hours you’re taking.

Post-9/11 GI Bill Transfer of Benefits (TEB)

If you haven’t used all of your Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits, you may be able to transfer up to 36 months’ worth of benefits to your spouse or a dependent child. The Post-9/11 GI Bill's transfer-to-dependent option is designed to help improve military retention and recruiting and is only available to eligible active-duty service members and selected Reservists.


Eligibility requirements include, but are not limited to, service members who meet all Post-9/11 GI Bill eligibility requirements, have completed six years of service, can commit to serving an additional four more years and have registered their dependents in the Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System.


Airmen receiving a less-than-honorable discharge, even if previously eligible and/or approved for TEB, will lose the transferred benefit and become ineligible for future use of the Post-9/11 GI Bill.


The Department of Defense decides whether you can transfer benefits to your family. On July 12, 2018, DOD published a news release about its updated policy on the transfer of Post-9/11 GI Bill educational benefits to eligible family members.


Effective immediately, all Airmen must be eligible to complete the required four-year service commitment from the date of their election to transfer benefits. If you’re unable to commit to another four years for any reason, you will be unable to request a transfer of benefits.


However, Airmen who are separated due to a “force shaping” event, but not retired, retain their eligibility to transfer benefits.


Effective July 12, 2019, one year from the date of this change, eligibility to transfer those benefits will be limited to service members with less than 16 years of total active-duty or selected reserve service. The update also included additional changes requiring Airmen on limited duty, involved in a Medical or Physical Evaluation Board or Disability Evaluation System process to wait until the process is complete before assessing transfer of benefits eligibility.


These changes are consistent with DOD’s focus on retention as the armed forces grow and preserve the distinction of transferability as a retention incentive rather than an entitlement.


The provision that requires a service member to have at least six years of service to apply to transfer benefits remains unchanged in the policy.


To find out if you qualify to transfer benefits, contact the Total Force Service Center at 1-800-525-0102, 1-210-565-5000 or DSN 665-5000. To transfer benefits, visit the Post-9/11 GI Bill Transfer Step-by-Step Instructions on myPers.

Benefits and Entitlements

AF TEB Process

The Air Force’s Personnel Center processes eligibility verification using data from a number of systems to include the Military Personnel Data System, DEERS, Automated Records Management System and VA information, to include confirmation of time in service, retainability, dependents listed in DEERS and any Active Duty Service Commitments on file. Typically, AFPC receives notification through the TEB website after an Airman has requested to transfer benefits. Eligibility confirmation is transmitted back through the TEB website and Airman will also receive notification via myPers. The application process takes about 30 days.

Other Options

Other VA educational assistance programs may provide help paying for school tuition, testing fees and advanced licensing and certifications. You may also be able to get entrepreneurship training to help start or improve a small business.


In some cases, the dependent or surviving spouse and children of a veteran can get educational assistance through Survivors’ and Dependents’ Assistance, another GI Bill program. 


If you have a service-connected disability that limits your ability to work or prevents you from working, you may be eligible for vocational rehabilitation and employment, or VR&E, benefits and services, like help exploring employment options and getting more training, if required. Your dependent family members may also be eligible for career and educational counseling and other support through the VR&E program. 

Find more information about the Post-9/11 GI Bill and other educational assistance programs on the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs’ website at https://www.vets.gov/education/.


Facebook Twitter
AF officials are currently accepting submissions for the 2018 Lance P. Sijan Leadership Award. All nomination packages are due to AFPC by Aug. 31, 2018. Read more at #AFPC #Airman #AirForce" target="_blank">https://go.usa.gov/xU5sE #AFPC #Airman #AirForce</a>
Joint Officer qualification is a significant achievement--the culmination of education and experience. With the new joint tour credit changes directed in the 2017 NDAA, you&#39;ll have even more opportunities to get joint credit. The recent update to DoDI 1300.19, OSD Joint Officer Management, adjusts deployment credits of 24 points or more to qualify an officer for full joint credit. AFPC manages the Joint Qualification program for the Air Force and has the information you need on these changes. For a complete overview on how to become a Joint Qualified Officer, go to Https://myPers.af.mil -> Assignment-> Total Force Joint Officer Management.
Are you interested in retraining? Noncommissioned officers interested in transferring to the Air Force’s newest enlisted aviation Air Force Specialty Code, Enlisted RPA Pilot (1U1XX), have until Oct. 31 to submit their applications to meet the next selection board. The complete application package includes an Air Force initial flying class II physical examination plus a pilot qualification test. The Enlisted RPA Pilot Selection Board will convene in January 2019 to fill training slots for fiscal years 2019 and 2020 as part of the Air Force’s ongoing initiative to integrate enlisted pilots into RQ-4 Global Hawk flying operations. Would you like to know more? Visit the Enlisted RPA Pilot webpage www.afpc.af.mil/Retraining/Enlisted-RPA/ #AirForce #AFPC
EQUAL Opens July 18 The window for Enlisted Overseas Returnee/CONUS Mandatory Mover EQUAL Schedule for Nov/Dec/Jan 2018-2019 opens on July 18. You can view the schedule logging into AFPCSecure on myPers, or at your local personnel office. The Overseas Active Duty Enlisted Quarterly Assignment Listing will open Aug. 8. For more information on assignments, go to www.afpc.af.mil/Assignment/ #AFPC
Do you think you could pass the Battlefield Airman Fitness Assessment? The new Battlefield Airman fitness standards and policy updates are online and available at http://www.afpc.af.mil/Career-Management/Fitness-Program/. ALO and TACP Airmen must take the Tier 2 Operator Fitness Test, or OFT, with the goal of achieving a component standard score of 2 or more on the 10-point component test scale for all components AND a composite score of 46 or more on the 100-point composite test scale. Download the OFT standards from our website and get ready to test yourself against these rigorous standards.#AFPC #AirForce
Air Force Recruiting Service is seeking former recruiters! Looking for current SSgt-MSgt having served in Recruiting Duty with a minimum of 36 months experience interested in returning as a Tier II or III Recruiter. For questions, or to apply, contact the AFRS Screening Team via e-mail at AFRS.rst@us.af.mil.
Air Force officials selected 8,416 staff sergeants for promotion to technical sergeant in the 18E6 promotion cycle. The promotion list will post July 19. Click the graphic for details. #AFPC #AirForce
18E5 Staff Sergeant Promotion Cycle File Freeze The file freeze will be effective July 25. Any data that is updated in Military Personnel Data System after July 25 for the 18E5 promotion cycle will not reflect on your Data Verification Record (DVR). If your eligibility status changes or an update is required after July 25, your MPF must contact the AFPC Enlisted Promotions office via email. Please use email subject line: "18E5 DVR Update Request." For more information on reviewing your DVR, go to www.afpc.af.mil/Promotion/DVR-Review/
AF rolls out FY18 Expanded Aviation Bonus Program Air Force officials have released the Expanded Aviation Bonus Program for FY18, making more than 2,000 additional aviators eligible for aviation bonuses. The expanded program targets aviators beyond their initial service commitment who previously declined to sign long-term bonus contracts. It also targets aviators who have expired contracts and those who were never previously offered a contract. All eligible aviators are encouraged to consider available options, make a decision and act promptly. The application window for eligible aviators under the Expanded Aviation Bonus Program ends at midnight (CDT) Aug. 25. AFPC will send targeted messages to all aviators who are now potentially eligible under the expanded program. This announcement does not change the Sept. 30 deadline for aviators in the original Aviation Bonus Program. Visit #AFPC" target="_blank">https://myPers.af.mil and search “AvB” for details. #AFPC</a>
Ever wonder what’s on your permanent record? Your Military Human Resource Record, or MHRR, can contain information such as enlistments, appointments, duty stations and assignments, qualifications, performance, awards and medals, disciplinary actions, insurance, emergency data, administrative remarks, separation, discharge or retirement (including DD Form 214, Report of Separation or equivalent) and other personnel actions. AFPC currently maintains records of those Airmen who separated or retired on or after Oct. 1, 2004. Do you want to know more? Watch the video, then click the link to visit our new Military Personnel Records webpage! www.afpc.af.mil/Career-Management/Military-Personnel-Records #AFPC (Note - the link to You Tube content may not work on AF networks. The direct link to our new channel is www.youtube.com/user/afpcpa)
Updates to the #AirForce Enlisted Force Structure now available to include changes to promotion requirements for CCAF.
Active-duty officers interested in developing language skills and regional cultural knowledge are encouraged to apply for the DoD Olmsted Scholar Program. Read more at #AFPC #Airman" target="_blank">https://go.usa.gov/xUbWe #AFPC #Airman</a>
The Air Force Voluntary Period of Active Duty program has added multiple opportunities for eligible air reserve component officers. Additions include 12X – Combat Systems, 13M–Airfield Operations, 13N – Nuclear and Missile Operations, 13S – Space Operations, 32E – Civil Engineer, 38F – Force Support, Medical Corps and Dental Corps Air Force Specialty Codes. Detachment commander and instructor opportunities also exist for the Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corps. VLPAD gives certain Reserve and Guard Airmen the chance to serve on extended active duty for three years and one day in order to meet Air Force mission requirements. VLPAD information is available and continuously updated on myPers. Click “Officer/Enlisted Voluntary Limited Period of Active Duty Program” from any Air Reserve component Assignment landing page to find the complete VLPAD AFSC list, detailed eligibility criteria and application procedures for each specific VLPAD program. #AFPC #AirForce
Google+ Looking for an alternative to Facebook to get your Air Force personnel news? We just launched our Google+ account! The same great content, but linked through your Gmail account. Just follow us at: #afpc" target="_blank">https://plus.google.com/u/0/106430364875494942420 #afpc</a>
Are you an active-duty officer interested in becoming a Pilot, Remotely Piloted Aircraft Pilot, Combat Systems Officer or Air Battle Manager? Apply to the 2019 Undergraduate Flying Training selection board! Start the application process right away, as all applicants must be certified as “physically qualified” and require a medical flight screening. Complete applications, to include any approved waivers and exception-to-policy requests, are due to the Air Force’s Personnel Center by Sept. 21. The selection board meets in November. Visit the UFT page on myPers to learn more: Active-duty officer Assignment page->Air Force Special Flying Programs or select “Active Duty Officer” from the myPers dropdown menu and search “Undergraduate” #AFPC_Assignment #AirForce
#AFPC wishes all #Airmen a safe and happy 4th of July holiday! We will have personnel technicians available through midnight July 3rd to help with your personnel needs. We will be back online July 5th to assist with you personnel information needs. Happy Independence Day! #AFPC
Air Force officials recently named the 88th Security Forces Squadron as the winner of the 2018 AFA Verne Orr Award for excellence in managing human resources. Read more at #AFPC #Airman #AirForce" target="_blank">https://go.usa.gov/xUY9Q #AFPC #Airman #AirForce</a>
The Air Force is now accepting applications for the Academic Year 2019 Enlisted to Medical Degree Preparatory Program, or EMDP2. This program offers enlisted Airmen in both the active and air reserve components the opportunity to complete the preparatory coursework for admission to medical school. The deadline for Airmen to submit their Intent to Apply emails to AFPC is Oct 12. Updated eligibility requirements and applications guidelines are listed on myPers. Select “Any” from the dropdown menu and search “EMDP2.” Find additional information about EMDP2 and other enlisted medical commissioning programs on our public website at www.afpc.af.mil/Assignment/Enlisted_Commission/ #AFPC #AirForce
Are you a talented, motivated active-duty officer willing to serve as a role model and instructor? If so, then your Air Force’s Academy needs you! Talk with your chain of command and then submit your volunteer statement to AFPC by Aug. 15. The United States Air Force Academy relies on hundreds of first lieutenants through lieutenant colonels to serve as instructors in a variety of mission areas to include military training, character and leadership development, athletics and academics, in order to educate, train and inspire men and women to become leaders of character. Officers in this special duty assignment will serve a three-year, controlled tour. Most academic positions require a master&#39;s or doctorate degree in a relevant discipline, though a bachelor’s degree is sufficient for other positions with the Commandant of Cadets, Athletic Department and USAFA Preparatory School. For more information, visit myPers and search “USAFA Instructors.” #AFPC #AirForce
Leaving active duty and still want to be part of the team? The PALACE CHASE program allows active-duty Airmen to request early separation from active military service and transfer to a Drill Status Guardsman, Traditional Reservist, Individual Mobilized Augmentee, AGR or Title 5 Dual Status Technician position. Enlisted applicants - Must complete 1/2 of their initial enlistment by the requested date of separation. Officer Applicants - Must have complete 2/3 of the initial total Active Duty Service Commitment by the requested date of separation. For application information, go to https://mypers.af.mil -> Separation -> PALACE CHASE
Time is running out to apply to the 2019 Undergraduate Flying Training selection board! Visit the UFT page on myPer… https://t.co/RmuNerJA4f
AFPC has its own YouTube channel! Login & subscribe to get the latest webcasts & videos on your Air Force's personn… https://t.co/NS14XyXjo5
Congratulations to the 500 Airmen selected for promotion on the August in-system supplemental promotion list!… https://t.co/GofzPRDIBg
Non Commissioned Officer Retraining (NCORP) July 2018 https://t.co/UusOZqLNw0 via @YouTube
Air Force Personnel Center (AFPC) on #Google https://t.co/jb36T3utV1
Ready to be part of the first two operational KC-46 squadrons at @22ARW? Nomination window is open for pilots inter… https://t.co/3XUWU8Tlsj
The Air Force Virtual Education Center (AFVEC) has recently been migrated to the cloud. However, it will have limit… https://t.co/wuES3RFdj4
AF officials select eight officers for fellows program. Read more at https://t.co/flf15yuB9Y #AFPC #Airmanhttps://t.co/XqRZCqN3eT
TSgt/18E6 promotion cycle release: 57 Airmen in Refueling/Bomber Aircraft Maintenance 2A5X4A AFSC improperly consi… https://t.co/ZhYI3zwwU6
AF officials open up NCO Retraining Program for FY19 and will update available slots on or about Aug. 1. Read more… https://t.co/TMRISfkPre
8,416 Airmen selected for Tech Sgt! The list is available on AFPC’s public website, myPers and the Air Force Portal… https://t.co/LaBDO9XVUd
The submission deadline for the Lance P. Sijan Leadership Award is Aug. 31, 2018. Read more at… https://t.co/DpE2piirxO
NCOs interested in retraining to become enlisted RPA pilots should submit completed applications to AFPC by Oct. 31… https://t.co/vVporeuNUF
AF selects 8,416 in 18E6/tech sergeant; list posts July 19. Learn more at https://t.co/q0YyrFoB1O #AFPC #AirForce https://t.co/ZGvDk5syQo
The file freeze for 18E5 Staff Sergeant Promotion will be effective July 25. Any data that is updated in MPDS afte… https://t.co/Ad11O8ah78
AF officials are accepting applications for the DoD Olmsted Scholar Program. Read more at https://t.co/bKdz5aAyY7.… https://t.co/xJx7acOpmR
Air Force Voluntary Period of Active Duty program adds multiple opportunities for eligible air reserve component of… https://t.co/9Z0VH7GgDK
Pilot, RPA Pilot, Combat Systems Officer or Air Battle Manager 2019 UFT applicants require medical flight screening… https://t.co/CamHpcNEPP
88th SFS earns 2018 Verne Orr Award for excellence in managing human resources. Read more at… https://t.co/Mk4nBBY4Ts