HomeCareerMilitary Personnel Records


Military Personnel Records

An Airman’s Military Human Resource Record, MHRR, formerly called the Official Military Personnel File, or OMPF, contains primarily administrative records and can contain information such as enlistments, appointments, duty stations and assignments, qualifications, performance, awards and medals, disciplinary actions, insurance, emergency data, administrative remarks, separation, discharge or retirement (including DD Form 214, Report of Separation, or equivalent) and other personnel actions.


Flight records, military pay records, education records, training records or medical and dental records are not maintained as part of the MHRR and cannot be obtained from the Air Force’s Personnel Center. Detailed information about the veteran's participation in military battles and engagements is also not contained in the record.


AFPC currently maintains records of those Airmen who separated or retired on or after Oct. 1, 2004. Access to these personnel files is limited to veterans, their primary next of kin and federal agencies, largely for validating benefits. In most cases, veterans are looking for copies of their DD 214 or separation documents that show proof of military service to establish benefits, or for background checks or employment verification. Family members might be looking for their Airman’s records as part of genealogical research or family history.


In a 2004 agreement between the Department of Defense and the U.S. archivist, official military personnel files were deemed permanent records of the United States. In a subsequent agreement, it was decided that the personnel files become archival 62 years after an Airmen was discharged, retired or died in service. 


On the Air Force's 62nd birthday Sept. 18, 2009, the first group of archival records was officially transferred to the national archives for permanent retention. Among the Air Force personnel files now part of the public record of the national archives are those of such airpower pioneers as Gen. James Doolittle and Brig. Gen. William "Billy" Mitchell as well as other records of persons of exceptional prominence to include Capt. Lance P. Sijan and Capt. Mary T. Klinker.


As Air Force personnel files continue to reach maturity at 62 years, they will be transferred to national archives ownership. The ownership of these records by the national archives now makes them open to the public. While the Privacy Act no longer applies to archival records, exemptions of the Freedom of Information Act continue to protect the personal privacy of the veterans and their families and Social Security numbers are redacted before release.


Genealogists, family members, historians and a variety of researchers already have and will continue to seek material obtained in these valuable records to better understand military service, family ties and the price of freedom.


AFPC’s military personnel records section receives more than 203,000 requests for records per year while NPRC receives approximately 4,000 to 5,000 requests per day. Response times for records requests vary and depend on records availability and workload. AFPC strives to meet a five-day turnaround while requests to NPRC can take 90 days or more. An Air Force veteran’s separation or retirement date determines to which agency they make the request.


How To: Air Force veterans who separated or retired on or after Oct. 1, 2004, may request their records in two ways:  register for a free Premium account on the Department of Veterans Affairs’ eBenefits site, or email, mail or fax a signed SF-180 to AFPC’s military personnel records section. The form can be emailed to AFPC/DP1OR Military Records Incoming at dpsomp.incoming@us.af.mil , faxed to 210-565-3124 (DSN 665-3124) or mailed to the AFPC address on the back of the form. Requests for records or documents cannot be made by phone.


Those requesting a deceased relative's record will need to provide their relationship to the former Airman so the next-of-kin relationship can be verified. If the relative was deceased after their separation or retirement, proof of death must also be provided as described on the instruction page of the SF-180.


Veterans who separated or retired before Oct. 1, 2004, should contact the National Personnel Records Center by mail or fax using an SF-180. NPRC holds the historical military personnel records of nearly 100 million veterans. The vast majority of these records are paper-based and not available on-line. Requests that involve reconstruction efforts due to the 1973 Fire, or older records that require extensive research efforts, may take six months or more to complete.


If you are a veteran or next-of-kin of a deceased veteran, you may also use eVetRecs from the National Archives to create a customized order form, instead of using SF-180, to request information from your, or your relative’s, military personnel records. You are still required to either mail or fax this form to NPRC.


The Military Personnel Section can assist with corrections to errors in the military personnel records of active-duty, Reserve and Air National Guard Airmen. Airmen should bring all supporting documents to their local MPS to correct an error.


Retirees and Airmen who have separated from the Air Force should contact AFPC’s Total Force Service Center at 800-525-0102 or DSN 665-0102. Should AFPC be unable to correct the record, they may refer the Retiree or former Airman to the Air Force Board for Correction of Military Records, the AFBCMR.


The Secretary of a military department, acting through a BCMR, has authority to change any military record, when necessary, to correct an error or remove an injustice. A correction board may consider applications for correction of a military record, including a review of a discharge issued by court-martial.


The AFBCMR, established under Section 1552, Title 10, United States Code, is the highest level of administrative review within the Department of the Air Force. As such, applicants must first exhaust available administrative avenues of relief before applying to the AFBCMR. Otherwise, the Board will deny the case on that basis. The AFBCMR bases its decision on the evidence contained in the case file. The case file consists of military records, an advisory from the Office of Primary Responsibility and statements, arguments and documents provided by the applicant. The burden of proof of either error or injustice rests with the applicant. The AFBCMR’s decision is final and conclusive.


Vietnam Veterans who received a less-than-honorable discharge and have since been diagnosed with post-traumatic stress will be given all due consideration for an upgrade of characterization of discharge, according to guidance published in the 2015 National Defense Authorization Bill. Veterans who desire a correction to their service record or who believe their discharge was unjust, erroneous or warrants an upgrade, are encouraged to apply for review.


AFBCMR applicants must fill out a DD Form 149, Application for Correction of Military Record. The DD Form 149 is currently going through the Office of the Secretary of Defense for an address change. The intake office on the back of the form has relocated from Joint Base San Antonio, Texas, to Joint Base Andrews, Maryland. To ensure your application is received and processed in a timely manner, mail the DD Form 149 to SAF/MRBC (AFBCMR), 3351 Celmers Lane, Joint Base Andrews NAF Washington, MD 20762-6435, along with any source documents, or send by email to usaf.pentagon.saf-mr.mbx.saf-mrbc@mail.mil. If your contention involves a medical issue, you must also fill out a consent form to release your medical records from the VA. You must fill out VA Form 10-5345, Request for and Authorization to Release Medical Records or Health Information, sign and attach it to the DD Form 149.


If the former Airman is deceased or incompetent, the surviving spouse, former spouse, next of kin or a legal representative may apply with supporting documentation (e.g., power of attorney, marriage license, death certificate) indicating they have proper legal standing to apply.


AFBCMR Resources: 

Air Force Pamphlet 36-2607, Applicant's Guide to the Air Force Board for Correction of Military Records

Air Force Instruction 36-2603, Air Force Board for Correction of Military Records


Health records cover the outpatient, dental and mental health treatment that former service members received while in military service. Health records include induction and separation physical examinations, as well as routine medical care (doctor/dental visits, lab tests, etc.) when the patient was not admitted to a hospital. AFPC does not store medical and dental records.


How To: An Air Force veteran’s separation or retirement date determines to which agency the request is made. The medical and dental records for Air Force veterans who retired or separated before June 1994 are stored permanently at the National Archives.  


Medical and dental records for Airmen who retired or separated between June 1, 1994, and Dec. 31, 2013, are maintained by the Department of Veterans Affairs Records Management Center.


Airmen who separated or retired on or after Jan. 1, 2014, may contact:


AF STR Processing Center

ATTN: Release of Information

3370 Nacogdoches Road, Suite 116

San Antonio, TX 78217


For assistance with medal replacement, the National Personnel Records Center needs to verify the Veteran’s military records. You will need to complete and submit a Standard Form 180, Request Pertaining to Military Records. Mark “Other” in Section II, Items 1 and 2, and write in “Medal Replacement.”


NPRC will verify the awards to which an Air Force veteran is entitled and forward the medal replacement request, along with the records verification, to AFPC or the Air Reserve Personnel Center for reservists. The medals are then mailed to the requesting veteran. Send your completed SF-180 for medal replacements by fax to (314) 801-9195 or mail the form to:


National Personnel Records Center

1 Archives Drive

St. Louis, MO 63138

Discharge Upgrade

For more information from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) about how to apply for a discharge upgrade, please visit  http://www.vets.gov/discharge-upgrade-instructions.   

Note: The content of this site is maintained by the VA, not the Air Force.



Free services for former military members:


American Legion
1608 K Street NW
Washington, D.C., 20006
202-861-2700, ext. 1512

Texas Veterans Commission
5788 Eckhert Road
San Antonio, TX, 78240

Maryland Vets Commission
31 Hopkins Plaza
Baltimore, MD, 21201
800-446-4926, ext. 6450

Paralyzed Vets of America
801 Eighteenth St NW
Washington, D.C., 20006-3517

Jacksonville Vet Center
300 East State Street Ste J
Jacksonville, FL, 32202

Tampa Veterans Center
8900 N. Armenia Ave #312
Tampa, FL, 33604

Georgia Dept of Vet Affairs Atlanta Regional Office
1700 Clairmont Rd
Decatur, GA, 30033-4032

California Dept of Vet Affairs Oakland Regional
1301 Clay St RM 1300 N
Oakland, CA, 94612-5209

National Personnel Records Center

Military Personnel Records

1 Archives Drive, 

Saint Louis, MO 63138


Michigan Veterans Affairs Agency
222 Washington Square North
Lansing, MI, 48909
800-MICH-VET (800-642-4838)

Career Management


Dress and Appearance
Career Intermission Program